"Classic Checkerboard Cake" Top 5 Page for this destination Food / Drink Tip by jessicadf
Food / Drink, San Rafael: 24 reviews and 28 photos
1 1/2 sticks (6 oz.) butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
6 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tb baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk, at room temperature
3 tb unsweetened cocoa powder
Extra-Rich Fudge Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 (farenheit). Grease thre 8-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper. Dust pans with flour, tap out excess.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add egg whites and vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes longer.
3. Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour, and beat until just blended.
4. Turn half of the batter (about 2 1/2 cups) into a medium bowl. Sift cocoa powder over top. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in cocoa until blended.
5. Carefully spoon a 2-inch ring of remaining white batter around outer edge of 2 prepared cake pans, then spoon a 2-inch ring of chcolate batter right next to white batter. Finish with a small circle of white batter in center of each pan. In remaining pan, spoon chocolate batter for outer ring, white batter for next ring, then finish with a center circle of chocolate. *Note: I used pastry bags with the largest pastry tips to make the circles, rather than deal with spoon -- was very tidy and easy.
6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans 10 minutes, then unmold onto wire racks and remove parchment paper. Invert cakes again and let cool completely. Fill and frost cake with Extra-Rich Fudge Frosting, using identical layers for top and bottom of cake and different layer for middle.
More Warnings and Dangers in San Rafael (22)
More Reviews (38)
- See All Groceries - organic and otherwise
- See All A rare treat: Indonesian food
- See All Hula is GREAT exercise!
- You pretty much need a vehicle
- See All China Camp State Park
jessicadf's Related Pages
Have you been to San Rafael?Share Your Travels