"Malagasy poverty" Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Favorite Tip by Norali
Madagascar General: 63 reviews and 99 photos
Favorite thing: Rich fauna, flora, nature to marvel at, soil WEALTH ... and population POVERTY.
Madagascar is amongst world's poorest countries. For decades, population has to struggle for life. 80% of population is rural, many being illiterate. In remote areas, no electricity neither current water.
For years, government members just grabbed all they could at expenses of population. The latter uses to tackle tough life, the one international institutions use to impose in order to meet up criteria for financial backing.
The South, for instance, has suffered from starvation for years. Years ago, volunteers and humanitarian groups went there to see and save some lives. However, Madagascar's then government made everything possible to hide Southern starvation, declaring that there was not any starvation in the Southern region.
Same thing as for Malagasy students in Europe. In Belgium, Malagasy students have been facing some strange situation in paying higher scholarship fees. Belgium has agreements with other countries as far as students are concerned. Thus, African students pay, at most, same fees as Belgians, NOT Malagasy students.
In fact, Malagasy students are in same category as US, Japanese students since, according to our then president, Malagasy students could afford studying. Thus, there is no point in putting Madagascar in same category as other African countries.
In fact, even some volunteers to save some lives in Southern Madagascar were hindered in their job. Even some countries that accepted that Malagasy students pay less were prevented from doing so.
Why that, would you say? In my humble opinion, because of some ego of then Malagasy officials who didn't want the world to see that the country was so poor, that people were starving. Too late for them, MSF and journalists were there.
These are examples of what happened there, of what people have endured for decades (esp. since 1975 when D. ratsiraka became president)...
Fondest memory: - Corruption is one of features of this country, some of my warning tips inform you on what to be done. I hope they will work for you. New government now implements its anti-corruption cell. It seems to be a serious task that awaits the cell staff but the president is determined in his actions. So, dear tourists, pay attention from now since situation is changing.
- Tana epitomizes fastuous and miserable Madagascar. Streets urchins, prostitutes of all ages in some areas on one hand, 4WD cars and business people on other hand. Shanty towns adjoin with posh villas (sometimes extravagant and of bad taste). Visiting other cities just made me aware of that since in Toamasina, for instance, there are really few beggars. While urban Tana abunds in street urchins... Rural people are poor as well and make the bulk of Malagasy population... but at least, they have houses there, or huts and some plots where to grow some crops and breed poultry and livestock.
Hopefully, new government, with its president Marc RAVALOMANANA elected in 2001, is working on. Pressure is put on them since people are really hoping for better life in the future. I hope the new government would do its best to support the population in its projects, ambition.. because many of Malagasy people are really skilled but never had the opportunity to express themselves, to achieve goals and live with talent.
First picture, rural picturesque scenery during rice harvesting season (seen from our orchard).
The second is a picture of a stall in Mahavelona area (East of Madagascar).
More General in Madagascar (19)
More Reviews (89)
- See All Ampefy - Itasy area
- See All Night-service drugstores
- See All Romazava, the "other" national dish
- See All The best comfort food for sweettoothed...
- See All Religion- Belief system
- See All Cycling to sightseeing, with the help of...
- See All A smiling person is not making fun of...
- See All Silence, serenity.. only nature would...
- See All Manakara
- See All Hotel tarriffs and booking in Madagascar
- See All Air-Madagascar international & internal...
- Medecines, Mosquito repellent,...
Norali's Related Pages
Have you been to Madagascar?Share Your Travels