"Kiyomizo Temple in Kyoto" Japan Things to Do Tip by Paul2001

Kiyomizo Temple, Kyoto

Kiyomizo Temple, Kyoto
      Pagoda, Kiyomizo Temple
    by Paul2001
      Kiyomizo Temple from the wooded hills above.
    by Paul2001

The Kiyomizo Temple is one of the most famous temples in all of Japan and certain must see if you are in Kyoto. What is so notable about the Kiyomizo Temple is the wonderful Main Hall that sits on a wooden veranda on the slopes of a hill that looks over the city of Kyoto. The veranda is 49 feet high and made of 139 pillars and for some reason that I cannot fathom now, I did not take a picture of it. Maybe I ran out of film? I do not remember. Anyway I got some photos of the torii gate and pagoda. The temple was initially constructed in 798 but has been rebuilt many times, the last being in 1633.
Like many of the great temples of Kyoto, the Kiyomizo temple is very crowded with tourists, as you might notice by this photograph. Normally I would recommend that you visit early in the morning but this photo was taken at around 10:30. So go really, really early. Although it was raining when I visited the temple, the splendor of the place was not lost. The Kiyomizo Temple is one of my favourite memories of Japan.

Directions: Gojozaka in Eastern Kyoto on the slopes of Mount Otowa
Phone: 075-551-1234

• Written Jul 10, 2003

Comments

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”