"Mother Earth... life or destruction?" United States of America Things to Do Tip by Sharrie

United States of America Things to Do: 953 reviews and 1,331 photos

Big Island of Hawaii
by Sharrie

VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK - where the earth's living pulse is being felt & observed!

Every national park has a soul & we as beings are learning & attempting to get in touch with it through our limited imagination. Here, it's the core of the earth in action, the heart of a living organism where life abounds & surprises. I came because I wanted to touch that miracle & "dark" force. The danger, the heat, the unfanthomable flow of liquid magma - exciting & intriguing! I guess some call it hell, depending on where & when you approached it. It is a monster; it is also the planet's baby! One that's still growing & ever so beautiful, even in its barren state. A visit to this new land amounts to a whole new universe; of discovery, renewal & wonderment!

The Big Island, & all the other islands of Hawaii for that matter, is the newest land on earth geologically (I read this somewhere, can't recall where but that's my reality as of this writing). The Hawaii Volcanoes N. P. comprises of 2 most active volcanoes on earth: Kilauea & Mauna Loa. To tell you the truth, I was so fascinated with the documentaries I saw on TV especially with regards to a helicopter ride over molten lava that I was making this trip. But, I didn't get to see that. I was naturally disappointed, but that's just life. Perhaps I'll lucky enough in the near future to have a 2nd chance. But, for now, this is what I saw. For something more dramatic, please check with Imax "Ring of Fire" or the National Geographic channel. I guarantee you it'd be a sight that you'll never forget! Jagged cliffs; red-hot fresh lava pouring into the sea; steam of sulphur fumes; twisted lava tubes; unique species of plants & animals - all make up the dance of life, so rare & yet so vulnerable... a ravishing goddess many couldn't resist!

• Written Jul 9, 2003

“Feed that hunger, hike that mountain!”

Have you been to United States of America?