Egipte: "Dine like an egyptian" Barcelona Restaurant Tip by monkeyfeesh

Barcelona Restaurants: 1,251 reviews and 1,310 photos

The food here is reasonably priced and of decent quality, and the clientele seemed to be primarly Spaniards rather than tourists, which can be a good sign. My first visit was fine - popped in for a quick snack in the middle of the day, had some delicious pan con tomate and a bomba. However, on my second visit I encountered easily the most surly and disinterested waiter ever, who, on my having said hello, glared at me balefully before turning round to polish some mugs that were obviously in greater need of attention than I was. While it's undoubtedly an attractive looking place inside, reasonably priced for such a centrally located venue, and has nice tasting food to boot, the service is, frankly, poor. Not only was I pointedly ignored, my food was served lukewarm. It still tasted OK, but I felt sure the crap service was at least partly due to my being 1) male, 2) a tourist, and 3) alone.

Address: La Rambla 79
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: (The Jerusalem 3 entrance is no longer open, or at least wasn't when I was there) With you back towards Plaza Catalunya, Egipte is on your right around halfway down the Ramblas.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 2
Theme: Local

• Updated Jul 11, 2003

“Something witty and profound”

Have you been to Barcelona?