"Barranco - Karanga Valley (1) : Day 4" Tanzania Things to Do Tip by ateach52

Tanzania Things to Do: 300 reviews and 506 photos

We?d camped right below the Great Barranco Wall, so it was 8:15 before the sun finally peeped over the mountain top and reached our valley. Everything was damp in the tent after yesterday's rain, so I had to lay out my clothes and sleeping bag on rocks before packing it all back up again into my backpack and duffle bag. Before Nicolas brought me my breakfast ? porridge and vegetable omelet ? I wandered back up the slope we?d come down yesterday afternoon. I?d been in such a state of exhaustion then that I?d been oblivious to everything around me except the thick white blanket of pain over my eyes. What a hellish day it was! This morning the sun was out, though, and I felt like a new person. My headache had disappeared completely and my appetite was back. In the bright sunlight the world seemed a different place and everything seemed possible, even my eventually reaching Uhuru! Everywhere in this narrow valley there were giant groundsels ? also called Sinecio ? extra-terrestrial- or pre-historic-looking plants with knobby trunks and spiky green leaves. They are found in few other places besides Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya supposedly, and are indeed a sight to behold. Lobelias too were abundantly scattered along the hillsides. They have an interesting system of insulating themselves against the bitter cold air by closing their leaves into a ball as well as by secreting some sort of sticky, slimy sap.

• Written Jul 5, 2003

“You can do it if you try”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Tanzania?