"The British Museum" British Museum Tip by Paul2001

An Ancient Greek Temple
      An Ancient Greek statue of a dog
      An Ancient Egyptian Sculpture
    by Paul2001
      Alexander the Great (supposedly very accurate!)
    by Paul2001
      A 4,500 year old scupture from Babylon.
    by Paul2001

The British Museum should interest anyone with even a slightest interests in anthropology or archeology. There is so much to see here that there is something that might perk the curiosity of anyone who walks through its doors. However I should warn you that the British Museum is a big rambling place that can be visited in just a few hours visit. The collections spans such a wide variety of cultures and topics that it can seem overwhelming. Highlights include the exhibits on the Ancient worlds of Egypt, Greece, Rome, Asia and the Americas. Knowing in advance that I could not possibly explore the whole museum in just the three hours that intended upon spending there, I instead concentrated upon the Egyptian, Greek and Roman collections. This means I was able to take in such notable pieces like the Rosetta Stone, Lord Elgin's Marbles, the huge collection of marbles and a wide variety of Ancient Roman artifacts. Sadly I did not take in any of the Asian cultures exhibits. Regretably so since I have developed an interest in Indian art in particular since my visit to the British Museum. It is also advisable to visit this museum with lots of energy. I did not as I had arrived in London from Toronto just 7 hours before my visit and was somewhat jetlagged.
During my second visit in 2010, I was much more energized and really enjoyed my visit. I was able to comfortably visit all of the galleries that I intended on when I set out touring the musuem. I still found the place to mind boggling. There is no way one can visit it all in one day and if you do what I did, chart in advance what your interests are and aim for them, you will enjoy yourself throughly. Oddly enough I ignored the exhibits featuring North American native peoples. I guess I can see all want of these here in Canada.
At the time of my first visit to the British Museum I had never visited a museum of this scope in my life. 21 years later, having journeyed through 30 countries and having visited countless museum, I have concluded that this is certainly the great archeological museum in the world. Some call the greatest museum in the world of any kind and this is quite possibly true.
The British Museum is opened seven days a week. You pay by way of suggested donation which should be about 5 pounds. Since my last visit there are been the addition of a new cafeteria which was decent.

Address: Great Russell Street, WC1