"fake "ancient" relics" Shopping Tip by mjd74

Shopping, Mexico City: 6 reviews and 2 photos

At the pyramids outside of Mexico City you will have a lot of people bombarding you with items to buy. After you pass them a few will come up to you telling you that they in fact have "antiques". The clay pottery that they show you looks very authentic and for the most part they are items that you will not encounter in the markets. It is a huge tourist scam that they are pulling on you.

The pottery that they are showing you they have made and buried in some dirt in there back yard and then sold to you as origonal. I have been to the pyramids a half dozen times and I have never encountered a real antique there.

The only way to truly come across them is to endere yourself to a mexican familt and they can point you in the right direction of finding the true pieces of history.

I know that some of the pieces that you encounter there truly look authentic, I can assure you that they are not.

I have been all over Mexico's interior and have seen numerous burial sites, ruins and true antiques that I conside myself somewhat of an authority on knowing what is real and what isnt.

• Written Jul 2, 2003

Comments

mjd74

“leave no stone unturned”

Have you been to Mexico City?