"This Was Fun! A Walk Through Cisterns" Top 5 Page for this destination Caesarea Things to Do Tip by Jackiekg

Caesarea Things to Do: 39 reviews and 90 photos

Ancient Cistern - Alona Park
by Jackiekg

An archeological park of ancient cisterns. Taking us back to the Roman-Byzantine period. These cisterns were part of a water system built to meet the increasing need for water - for drinking and irrigation - due to a significant population growth in Caesarea.

A change of clothing is very important, unless you want to dry out in the sun. Shoes for walking in water and a flashlight also required. The water comes up to 20" in height. I was alright as the water come below my thighs. On another member of our group, it came above her waist!

To go through the cisterns it takes about 20 minutes. One doesn't go through too quickly as you have to place your feet so that you don't slip. There are lights all the way, as you can see in the photo. When there was a double line of lights we knew there was going to be a step and/or the water would get deeper. As my title says "it was fun!"

I shall be doing a travelogue of the area, which is very nice and interesting. So visit again. There I can put a map so if you can't understand my explanation, you will understand the map. (You can tell I am not a driver).

Address: Near Binyamina
Directions: From Tel Aviv and Haifa Road number 4 to Benyamina Junction. Cross railroad lines continue to Ada Junction. Continue straight and you should see a sign to Meg Kedem Alona Park.
othercontact: email: meykedem@hotmail.co.il
Phone: 972-4-6388622 - booking
Website: http://www.meykedem.com

• Updated Jun 25, 2003

More Things to Do in Caesarea (1)

Have you been to Caesarea?