"Theatre Museum - FREE" Top 5 Page for this destination Theatres Tip by sourbugger
Theatres, London: 82 reviews and 87 photos
UPDATE : APRIL 2007. Now closed on the covent garden site, but much of the collection is now exhibited at the main V & A site in South Kensington.
The Theatre Museum is spin-off of the V&A (Victoria and Albert). Because of this it is free!
It has some excellent collections - if you have any passing interest in the theatre then it is a must. The exhibibtions are very well done, but pehaps lack 'impact' to some extent.
There are original costumes, playbills and other paraphanlia to see as well as a magnificent 'box' saved from a theatre in Glasgow and a tribute to that most famous of English acting dynasties : the Redgraves.
They also do performances, make-up demo's & other acting-type things.
You don't need to be luvvie to understand it all - it's very well presented and it made me realise something....when you give a performance that is stunning in live theatre, only a few hundred people will ever see it, and the moment is gone. Give one on film and you will be immortalised. Deep eh ?
I remember Guilgud said to me one fine evening in rep...trails off into longwinded story about as interesting as a guided tour of my shed.
More Reviews (218)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels