"Confucius Gets Colonial at Pompidou Center" Centre Georges Pompidou Tip by Confucius

Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris: 11 reviews and 10 photos

All the French empire's craziest people are here
by Confucius

Favorite thing: Here is where you'll meet representatives from each of France's historical colonies and possessions. In my photo you can see the Vietnamese guy on the left and the Ivory Coast characters on the right. I don't know where that tall robot in the middle came from but it was in no mood to help me find any French Polynesian dancers in this cultural quiche that ended up being a quick lunch.

Fondest memory: I had never seen so many Africans in one place! (Still haven't been to Africa) Visiting the Pompidou Center somehow reminded me of riding the elevators of Hong Kong's Chungking Mansion. I felt cramped in a small space at the modern art gallery surrounded by these French speaking Africans, only they wore designer clothes instead of tribal robes. Once outside I slowly became acclimated to the African cultures until this giant robot came out of nowhere and scared the merde out of me. I tried to photograph this space invader but as you can see his hand was faster than my eye and so I clicked and ducked and got the cluck out of that cross cultural chicken coop faster than Lance Armstrong to finish my first and only Tour de France.

(2006 update: I returned to Paris this year for my second visit but stayed away from the Pompidou Center.)

• Updated May 19, 2006

“Yes, I am indeed the same Confucius from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Northeast Asia branch!”

Have you been to Paris?