"Blaming others for own faults. Not in Japan." Japan Local Custom Tip by manuelEB

Japan Local Customs: 477 reviews and 616 photos

Typical Attitude of Westerners
by manuelEB

I am asked or almost on daily basis about how is like to live in Japan? "Two extremes!" I 've been told, regarding my "Latin culture" and the Japanese ways.

Well , it is not that different if you pay attention to the details and forget a little bit about the many times digested predjuices you could have about Far East and "Latin Culture". But there is, indeed, a big difference in how the regular Japanese citizen tackles certain problems. In case of failure or accident, the Japanese would never automatically blaim others to save face and responsability. Perhaps, very innocently, it will make an introspective analysis of his/her faults and will come up with a more balanced view. If it has to accept a degree of responability, or the whole responsability, it will.

I have learned a lot in this in 20 years, but I do recognize that I still get very upset when I have to deal with western people that automatically blaim others, and happily call name others, when failure and/or accidents occurred because their own faults.

othercontact: Check Brittannica Encyclopaedia

• Updated Oct 12, 2003

Comments

manuelEB Lives Here!

manuelEB

“Once again I feel beneath my heels the ribs of Rocinante”

Have you been to Japan?