"The arch-monument of Friendship" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev Favorite Tip by OlenaKyiv

Kiev General: 194 reviews and 269 photos

The arch-monument of Friendship
by OlenaKyiv

Favorite thing: The Friendship Arch located in Kreshchatiy Park up from Eauropean Square. It was opened in 1982 and is the symbol of union between Ukraine and Russia that was signed by Bogdan Khmelnickiy and Russian ambassador in 1654 during event called Pereyaslavskaya Rada.
Sculptor Skoblikov, architacters Ivanov, Mirgorodskiy and Sidorov.

It is fun during spring and summer here, because there are performances on weekends and holidays on open stage.

Fondest memory: On 25 of May it is the day of frontier guards. This date is old one from Soviet Union and now it is different for Ukrainian defenders of boarders. But people (as a rule men who served in SU Army) still gather on this area and celebrate their holiday. 4 years ago I took a part in organization this celebration and it was really fun (from author - I am not a military woman in present and never was). There was true military ?field-kitchen? (?traveling kitchen?) and we ate porridge and drank tea imagine ourselves being in the field on military trainings. Frankly speaking we were very hungry that day and porridge seemed to us very delicious :-).

• Updated Apr 6, 2007

“I know that I know nothing”

Have you been to Kiev?