"Hilmar Cheese Factory Visitor Center" Hilmar Things to Do Tip by emilesc

Hilmar Things to Do: 1 reviews and 0 photos

This was part of a road trip which became unintentionally dairy-themed (we went to the Hershey's Center shortly after - visit my Oakdale page for more). Our friends suggested that we visit the Hilmar Cheese Factory, and anyone who knows my love of cheese knows I didn't need to be told twice.

This is one of those off-the-beaten-path places in the San Joaquin Valley of California and definitely worth a visit - a nice stop on the way to LA or SF.

You can do a self-guided tour featuring "Buttercup," the excessively friendly cow, or hop along one of the guided tours (check for hours) and watch the cheese being made, from the curds to the final processed version that we buy in supermarkets.

Afterwards, have lunch in the cafe or in the picnic area. You can sample different cheeses, have soup in a bread bowl or the killer cheese pie. And, of course, buy cheese to take home.

Don't leave without trying a "squeaker." It's a curd, and frankly, I think fresher and much yummier than the final product. The nickname comes from the fact that they're so fresh they squeak as you chew them. You can also buy a bag to munch on the road.

Address: 9001 North Lander Avenue, Hilmar, CA 95324
Directions: Call for directions, but I believe it's off the 99 highway north of Merced.
Phone: (800) 577-5772
Website: http://www.hilmarcheese.com

• Written May 31, 2003

Comments

emilesc

“Watch where you step.”