"Agra: some very handsome structures" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Things to Do Tip by Bonobo2005

State of Rajasthan Things to Do: 177 reviews and 484 photos

finally I could push away the wedding couples
by Bonobo2005

I took the night train to Jaipur, but when we arrived in Agra that morning, I decided to go off early. A fellow traveller had told me about some awesome structures there, such as the not unknown Taj Mahal.

The super friendly rickshaw driver who brought me to my guesthouse, turned out to be a cunning bastard when ?in the end- I didn?t want to do a guided city tour with him, and he kept following me until I jumped on a bus.

On Christmas Day I treated myself on a $15,-- visit to the Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal.

The 16th century Fort is an example of former wealth of the Maharadja?s and contains a conglomeration of halls, palaces, squares and mosques that is encircled by massive walls. Unfortunately, many areas were locked for tourists and due to smog I couldn?t see the Taj from here. A nice, but not amazing excursion.

The Taj Mahal is a different story, and shouldn?t be missed. It?s marble work and decoration is absolutely fabulous, an impressive piece of art. And moreover, the whole complex, including the monument itself, is completely symmetric (besides one misplaced tomb)!

My day of visit couldn?t be better. Ten thousands of Indian tourists, attractively hectic, and I appear on a few dozen Indian family portraits. They even woke me up for a photo when I was doing a short nap on the grass and then requested me to organise my hair!

• Updated May 31, 2003

Comments

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?