"Sleeping in a terrasse at night (1987)" Toamasina Off The Beaten Path Tip by Norali

Toamasina Off The Beaten Path: 4 reviews and 4 photos

A great memory!
by Norali

This happened during a trip I made with my uncle. Well, you may have read somewhere in my Toamasina page about this uncle. A quite adventurous and cool guy. Doing things with him just leads through off the beaten tracks.

For this trip, we arrived at night in Taxi-brousse area since we travelled via public taxi-brousse (travel in a sedan car with 8 other passengers). It was dark and we had to join a place where we could spend few nights.

We arrived at a studio in a spot I was not used to. Well, I was young and a bit narrow-minded. I didn't say nothing but he noticed I was not that comfortable with this tiny place, I guess lended by one of those myriads of girlfriends. He put on music and we unpacked quite quickly. I wanted to sleep because I was tired. I took a shower and when I went out from the showerbox, I noticed my uncle was not there. I was a bit afraid, thinking of staying alone in a house I don't know, in a strange corner.
In fact, my uncle carried out the matress and bed sheets and here it is: a night in a terrasse.

I was afraid since in my hometown, we are not used to do that, for safety purpose. But in Toamasina, it was possible. I spent a quiet night, heard the noise of waves crashing down shore. And in the morning, I was waken up by noises from the street, pousses- pousses passing by as the mattress was just at pavement level. We were just hidden by a fence made of crossed wood lumbs... through which we could see passengers.

One of those experiences you just learn from... This stay with my uncle was an unusual one...

• Updated May 31, 2003

Comments

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Toamasina?