"Cultural Exchange" Vlachovo Local Custom Tip by lmkluque

Vlachovo Local Customs: 1 reviews and 1 photos

"I'm a Californian Boy!"
by lmkluque

After dinner, as the wine, rum and brandy flowed, this man, through his daughter's interpreting, told the story of a lady he saw at the airport with a pair of spectacles perched on top of her head. He had never seen this before, he told us. He looked at her from different angles and tried to reason why her glasses would be placed on top of the head like that and couldn't figure it out.

His accounting of the experience was very funny and we were laughing hysterically. I laughed hardest as I knew the subject of the tale was me!

I explained that it was quite common in California--I couldn't speak for customs of the whole U.S.A.--for people to place eyeglasses on their head when not in use.

Later that evening, in the midst of the roaring Slovak banter I heard him say, in English, "I'm a California Boy." This came from a man who had spoken not a word of English until that moment. I looked over and of course, I couldn't resist taking the picture to capture the memory.

As we sat around the table we spoke of a great many things about their lives and about mine. We made many comparisons and found common ground, but most of all we found each other.

• Updated Apr 29, 2012

Comments

lmkluque

“Assume Good Intent”

Have you been to Vlachovo?