"Back to Nature" Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Favorite Tip by David&Pauline

The Gambia Favorites: 46 reviews and 62 photos

Lucas' compound in Kotu Township.
by David&Pauline

Favorite thing: You must meet Lucas Jatta, a rastafarian palm wine tapper. His open air "Nature" palm juice bar is next door to the Badala Park Hotel, Kotu, just past the bush taxi stand. Do buy some of his palm wine and fresh fruit grown there in the palm stand. He is a very warm, and loving man with a large family to support.

Fondest memory: Spending all of Christmas day 2001 in Lucas Jatta's compound in Kotu Township. Sharing his hard won food with his wonderful family. The evening was spent at a bar in the heart of Serrekunda, watching a sea of humanity pass by. We danced our way into Boxing Day at the unique Rasta Garden in Kololi. Lucas and his brother Abraham are terrific company and very trustworthy. We write and phone them regularly. Here are some words from Lucas:
Welcome to my Gambia, if you are planning your first trip or have had the fortune to visit my country many times before let me show you The Gambia as we, the people live it. My name is Lucas Jatta, I am a palm tapper, as was my father who hailed from Guinea Bissau, before me. I am of the Jola tribe, I am a Christian and follow the ways of the Rastafari which gives me a different perspective on a country which is mostly Moslem. I should like to invite you to see The Gambia from that different perspective and as I spend so much of my life atop the palm trees I see much that goes on. Do come and visit me soon and we shall all have a happy time.

• Updated May 21, 2003

Comments

David&Pauline Visits Here Frequently!

David&Pauline

“Meet the people”

Have you been to The Gambia?