"Happy Independence Day to you, my beloved Cuba" Cuba Favorite Tip by cochinjew

Cuba General: 276 reviews and 209 photos

a well known face on this wall
by cochinjew

Favorite thing: Today is 20th May 2003. I am writing this from Buenos Aires in Argentina.
Exactly 101 years ago, the american governor of Cuba Leonard Wood gave the flag and sovereignity of this island to the Cubans, to Estrada Palma who was the first president of Cuba.
Unfortunately the tradition of freedom was not to last very long in Cuba. Honestly, the long suffering people of Cuba weathered oppression and dictatorship from the very begining, Machado coming in 1929 and Batista years twice before the Revolution brought Fidel Castro in 1959.
Currently people in Cuba are very worried about the pronouncements of President Bush and his Brother Jeb who is catering to the Miami Cuban Mafia that they might attack the island. While every single cuban whether he is a supporter of Fidel or not will take up arms to repel the aggressors, the current fear is affecting the populace in subtle emotional ways. Desperation after desperation is added on to the life that is hanging in the balance. Tourists see such a small part of the lives of Cubans even some veteran visitors are so blind to the plight of Cubans
On this day, let me think well of all my dear friends and those who have become my family and wish them well and let us hope that very soon, they like us, will be able to travel and better still contribute their own travel tips to this magnificent island..

• Updated May 20, 2003

cochinjew Used To Live Here!

“If I am only for myself, what am I ?”

Have you been to Cuba?