"As close to home as you can get in Manhattan" Chelsea Lodge Tip by Docu2001

Chelsea Lodge, New York City: 3 reviews and 3 photos

Chelsea Lodge Suites
by Docu2001

I hate the crowded, over-priced, smelly, bad attitude, tip-greedy, herd-mentality places that you find in the central business districts of almost every large city. In Manhattan, I would define that as Midtown. I would avoid it as a traveler unless I was there for a particular business reason ? in which case convenience and business-related services would be my foremost considerations and I would probably opt for something like The Intercontinental. If I was in midtown on a budget I would stay at The Wyndham 42 West 58th Street - right in the middle of everything and only $145 a night - cheap for that neighborhood.

If I was in town to really experience it ? to feel its unique rhythms and get a sense of the ebb and flow of daily life ? well, then I would prefer to stay in a small, out-of-the-way spot that was clean, and nice and indistinguishable from the homes of the folks who live in that city. The Chelsea Lodge Suites is such a place.

Unique Qualities: Last year I had some relatives visiting ? I wanted them to feel at home and spent a great deal of time searching around for the ideal spot. They have two small kids and wanted to be able to make some meals at home. They stayed in a small apartment with a garden, a kitchen, and a living room all housed in a charming townhouse on a beautiful tree-lined street in Chelsea. It is close enough to the Village to walk to anything you might want to see ? a five minutes by cab or subway to Midtown and the Theatre District.
The restaurants in Chelsea are great and the apartment was set up so that you could really live inexpensively.
There is no room service, no bellmen ? so if you want those things you will have to stay in a full-service hotel. The website is listed below and it contains lots more details.

NB: The Chelsea Lodge (right next door) has smaller rooms for under $100 ... also very nice ...)

Address: 318 West 20th Street
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.chelsealodgesuites.com/index.htm

• Updated Nov 22, 2003

Docu2001 Used To Live Here!

“Listen ...”

Have you been to New York City?