"Scarborough, The Toronto Zoo" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Things to Do Tip by sim1

Province of Ontario Things to Do: 203 reviews and 449 photos

A Northern bald eagle in the Canadian Domain
by sim1

The Toronto Zoo (which is actually in Scarborough) is a nice zoo to visit. It's a bit like Canada itself : huge! And you notice that clearly when walking around. They don't have to fight for every inch of space here, so everything is quite far apart with a park-like landscape in between.

The zoo contains of two type of exhibitions, the pavilions and the outside terrains. The outside terrains are very nice, huge spaces for the animals to walk around. Hmmm.... maybe not everywhere though, but on the whole it was okay.

But the inside pavilions made me so sad. This seemed like the older part of the zoo and the cages were so small and it all looked so dark. It looks like they have been renovated but that felt more for the visitor than for the animals themselves. I couldn't bear seeing some of the animals locked up in their little cages. So after visitng a few of these pavilions I decided not to go in them anymore. I think it was a good choice. I always have mixed feeling when visiting the zoo, hahaha, sorry about that! I love seeing the animals but I feel so sorry for them as they are locked up.
I am used to a very nice zoo in The Netherlands where the animals seem to have lots of space and it's a bit like they are in their natural environment. The outside part of the Toronto zoo has the same feel and I enjoyed walking around here a lot. Make sure to put on some good comfy shoes as you have to walk lots!

You can read more about the Toronto Zoo on my Scarborough page

Directions: The Toronto Zoo is located North of Hwy 401 on Meadowvale Road in the suburb of Scarborough.
Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1c048/dcc5d/

• Updated Feb 24, 2010

Comments

sim1 Used To Live Here!

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Province of Ontario?