"Positively Positano" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos

The pipes of Pan lured this lady to Positano
by iandsmith

Everything they say is true. It is one of those places you really have to visit. Walking up and down the streets or steps you will become enchanted with this key town on the Amalfi coast. Positano loosely translated means "little America" so be prepared for accents of the US of A variety and higher prices than you get elsewhere. Despite that, there are bargains in the town; you just have to look a little harder for them.
Even the fashions are different. (I found this out from talking to women, not from my own observations!)
During our three days there the wind roared (literally) from the back of the mountain and it snowed a couple of kilometres inland. On the second day, awaiting my bus connection at Meta, it rated one of my five coldest days ever on earth.
Imagine, I had thought I might get a dip in my cossies, instead I had singlet, flanno shirt and parka and still froze.
Though the beach is pretty ordinary the scenery is stunning. Whilst doing research I found that probably the best view of the whole Amalfi coast is way above Positano but it takes a fair hike to get there and I hadn't come prepared.
You will be well satisfied with what it has to offer though and, no matter how you arrive, the trip in is nothing short of memorable.
The photo is taken near the second bus stop and features, among other things, a statue of Pan, that disgusting god who used to sodomize animals and masturbate while playing the pipes. Sort of takes the romantic gloss off the scene somewhat eh!

Directions: Amalfi coast, south of Napoli

• Updated Aug 8, 2003

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Italy?