Gobo Restaurant: "Gobo Restaurant" Gobo Restaurant - CLOSED Tip by feline01

My husband's very contented face in Gobo
by feline01

Same owners as Zen Palate but I like this place much better. Open kitchen, serene surrounding, cleanest toilets in NYC and very friendly waitstaff. The food is vegan, except the cheese has casein, and fantastic. Costs for a meal can be reasonable or be very expensive depending on how many small plates you order. Lunch menu is a good bargain. Don't miss the decadent vegan desserts.

Update: We ate there in November 2004 and had the babies with us (who were about 7 months old). We have taken them to many places and have been told over and over again how well behaved they are. I don't think Gobo cared how well behaved they were/are, I just think they have a problem with babies being seen in public. The hostess and our first waiter had a definite attitude. I saw several waiters giving us evil looks and talking about us. Fortunately, we were assigned a waiter who had a small baby and he was very friendly but overall, I think they were total conceited snobs here and they need to evaluate how they treat their clientele. Mind you, we ate there at lunch time and it was not crowded. Their rating has now dropped from "Great Experience" to "Satisfied" because of this.

Favorite Dish: Singapore stir-fry mai fun: delicious noodle dish served with seitan (mock-meat) skewers. $9 from lunch menu.

The oyster mushrooms served with aspargus.

Seitan in black pepper sauce

Mango rice pudding

Sesame protein nuggets.

Address: 401 6th Avenue
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Between Waverly Place and 8th Street in Greenwich Village. 2 blocks west of Washington Square Park.
Phone: 212-255-3242
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Vegan/Vegetarian
Website: http://www.goborestaurant.com

• Updated Jan 13, 2005

“Love life? Go vegan.”

Have you been to New York City?