"Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies" Moscow Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Pyotr_Pushkin

Moscow Warnings and Dangers: 175 reviews and 121 photos

Buy me, go on!
by Pyotr_Pushkin

Let me start by saying that Moscow is full of dogs. Lots and lots of stray dogs, for that matter and lots of lovely white fluffy snow.

Incidentally, I should tell you now that with all this snow over the last six months Liz and I have become the William Tells of Moscow, regularly shooting out targets 100s of yards away with a snowball. But all this snow over the last six months - something like six feet of it - has presented the State with a big question - where do we dump it all? The answer? In the wee courtyard down the road from us where, incidentally, everyone walks their dogs of course!

This courtyard is piled high with mountains of snow and with all the melting recently, we've noticed that the outer fluffy brilliant white layer of the snow has started to change. Looking a little closer, I realised that horrifyingly, it has changed to reveal six months of canine bowel movements. Frozen and forgotten, but now thawing to reveal mysterious ancient 'fossils'.

Making snowballs in this courtyard was nearly my second mistake.
_____________

I should add that cats are also to be found everywhere in Moscow. We see kittens being sold by trades-people in the metro, usually peeking their tiny heads out from under scarves or paper bags. At first this seems cruel but each kitten comes with a certificate (apparently) and they generally look in pretty good shape. I suspect though that they also come with lots of unknown bacteria and a 7 foot guarantee (step away seven feet and the guarantee expires!).

We spotted a sale at a market yesterday of a tiny but gorgeous kitten that looked a little like the one pictured adjacent, but cuter and less like Mr Tinkles.... Anyway, a crowd of envious on-lookers, with us, all "oh-ed and agh-ed" as she and her young daughter made up their minds. It didn't take long and soon the little kitten had a new owner and was tucked inside a big fur coat as they made their way to her new home.

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Pyotr_Pushkin

“Getting lost in a strange city, whether by accident or design almost always leads to discovery”

Ranked Member