"Cinque Terre III" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos

Benedetto - man at work
by iandsmith

There I was, having just parked my car and heading into Riomaggiore when I couldn't help but notice this huge painting beside the path.
Since the villages are all covered by the Parco Nazionale Delle Cinque Terre things are happening for the good in some ways.
The old vineyards, on the wane due to a declining population, are being restored by people interested in such things and prepared to devote their time to such an activity.
Another thing that's happening is the mosaics and murals. An artisan called Silvia Benedetto, along with Olge Macaluso and Silvia De Blasi have been commissioned to do works at the railway stations of Riomaggiore and Vernazza.
Imagine how fortunate I felt when I actually met the man and interupted his work to ask him about the project. Sadly, with his poor English and my poor Spanish the conversation was limited but I was able to glean the above information from him and admire some of his handiwork.

• Updated May 4, 2003

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Italy?