"30st of April, our national holiday Queensday!" Netherlands Local Custom Tip by Pavlik_NL
Netherlands Local Customs: 288 reviews and 290 photos
Every 30st of April The normally so sober and hardworking Dutch people completely get crazy. This is our national holiday, known as Queensday. We dress up in orange (the colour of the royal family) and many of us get into a partyingmood until we drop (late at night).
Why the 30st of April? Well, our queen Juliana (the mother of the present queen Beatrix and the daughter of Wilhelmina) had her birthday on the 30st of April and Beatrix kept this tradition going (lucky us as she has her birthday at the end of January and partying in the cold is not realy our hobby.
Anyway, traditions around this day are:
1. show your red-white and blue-flag (you may notice them everywhere).
2. go out into town or to the many activities organised in every neighborhood and village.
3. drink "Oranjebitter" (a strong liquor made of oranges and having the appropriate colour for this fest) or like many others do: drink loads of beer
4. go to a freemarket. here you can find the craziest things and always a bargain!
5. sing at least once the Wilhelmus, our national anthem (not necessarily all 13 parts ... one is enough)
6. watch the fireworks in the evening: preferably in my hometown Arnhem as it is done over the river Rhine and the lights magnificently reflect on the water.
PS: this local customs tip is no longer valid from 2014, due to the fact that since 30st of April 2013, we have a King. A new local customs tip can be found below.
More Local Customs in Netherlands (15)
More Reviews (30)
- See All Top 20 of largest town
- Cloths for every type of weather (even...
- See All Old "Southern sea" fishermen's villages
- See All Well, in fact they are tiny fluffy...
- Royal shopping
- See All Dense freeway system in two ways
- See All Flowerbulbs as a souvenir ... beware...
- See All Watersport 3: Waterskiing
- Tolerance and suddenly everything is...
- About cafes and terraces
- The Netherlands (so not Holland) =...
- Good hotelstandard, yet expensive!
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels