"Taxi Scams" Bangkok Warnings Or Dangers Tip by SumTingWong

Bangkok Warnings and Dangers: 457 reviews and 248 photos

Royal Palace (I had no taxi pictures)
by SumTingWong

Bangkok taxi Scams are amongst the worst in the world. I'll share some stories that happened to me to show all of you just how bad it is... OK I got in a closed metered taxi in Bangkok and asked to set up a price before hand so they wouldn't just drive in circles rising the meter. The driver said ok, and I'm positive it wasn't a miscommunication because I speak fluent Thai. I set up a really good price, 40 Baht per person to go from Banglampoo to the area by Little India. So we get in two taxis (there were eight of us) and have the same deal set up for both taxis, they worked together. I didn't have a map with me, so I didn't really know the streets to where we were going, but the driver promised me he knew where to go, in fact he repeated it! So I trusted him and thought he would get us there fast because he was only getting 40 Baht per person. Boy was I wrong, he and his buddy drove us to the other side of the city. We paid them thinking that we were in the correct location, until I realized we weren't. Then I told them we were in the opposite side of the city and threatened to just leave us there unless we paid them 80 Baht more per person. Well, my friends and me wouldn't stand for this so I try to argue with the drivers in Thai, to no avail. Then I noticed there was a police stand nearby so I walk to the station and got an officer to help. Once the drivers saw the officer they just agreed to take us to where we wanted to go no problems, but still a huge ordeal and almost an hour wasted. And they thought we would give up, haha!

Well this is only one story about Bangkok taxi scams; there are a lot more, lol.

Here's what to do to try and avoid these problems:

Always work out the price before hand, but do give the drivers a fair amount, if not... well what happened to me may happen.

Carry a map so you know where the drivers are going.

If you don't speak Thai carry the address of the place that you are going in THAI to show to the drivers.

Try to avoid metered taxis.

• Written Apr 28, 2003

Comments

SumTingWong

“"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi”

Have you been to Bangkok?