VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Sainte Chapelle I" Sainte-Chapelle Tip by Kate-Me

Sainte-Chapelle, Paris: 145 reviews and 355 photos

Saint Chapelle
by Kate-Me

Saint Chapelle
    by Kate-Me
  • - Paris
  • - Paris

I don't know why I didn't this place until my 3rd trip to Paris...it's an absolutely wonderful Gothic masterpiece!
It was built for King Louis IX.
There are 2 magnificent chapels, standing one above the other and featuring so much gold and adornment that I could hardly believe my eyes. Ste Chapelle was completed in 1248.
The larger upper church is 67 feet high and features 15 narrow stained glass windows which are almost 50 feet high, with barely any space in between them. I’d never seen so much stained glass in my life and was just awestruck.
On each side pillar in the upper chapel is a 14th century statue of one of the Twelve Apostles.
On our last night in Paris in 2000, we were lucky to get tickets to a performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons here, and it was absolutely fantastic!
The best memory of Paris out of all the wonderful things we saw there.
2014: be aware about renovations that are due to last till about 2016. While St Chapelle is still open, the extent of the renovations and the large areas covered over took me by surprise and I really didn't enjoy myself here (with drilling and noise as background) as much as last time.

Address: 8 Boulevard du Palais, 75001 Paris
Directions: At Rue de Lutèce.
Phone: 33 1 53 40 60 80
Website: http://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/

• Updated Jun 1, 2015

Comments

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Have you been to Paris?