"Beijing driving" Streets and Traffic Tip by Gard

Streets and Traffic, Beijing: 11 reviews and 9 photos

It is fascinating to see how traffic varies from country to country around the world. I?m sure that it is possible to write an entire book on the subject of driving patterns in different countries :-) China was certainly different than other countries that we have been to. Not only do you have to keep an eye out for other cars?you also need to keep an eye on all the pedestrians and cyclists. And let me assure you: there are quite a lot of bicycles in Beijing :-) The motorists and cyclists seem to have achieved some form of harmony because the cyclists seemed impartial to the somewhat dubious drivers next to them.

The Beijing drivers seem to think that the mirrors in the car are not for practical use. Cars change lanes without any hesitation (or indication) and it seems to be the car behind that needs to keep an eye out for this. Another fascinating thing is the use of the horn. After many rides in taxis I have reached a conclusion that there are at least three reasons for using the horn: the reactive horn use (you pulled out right in front of me and you are blocking me); the preventive horn use (don?t try to pull out in front of me?I?m coming with great speed and there is no room for you); lastly general horn use (there is so much traffic and I can?t change lanes or overtake any cars).

• Written Apr 19, 2003

Comments

Have you been to Beijing?