Cabana las Lilas: "Good food, food factory mentality" Argentina Restaurant Tip by ibawaya

Argentina Restaurants: 120 reviews and 80 photos

Every guide I read advised me to visit this restaurant, one of Buenos Aires' best. Reservations are a must, especially on weekends. Reserving the day before, we were still limited to 9:00 pm, a little early for Buenos Aires.

The guides had commented on the meat, which is from the restaurant's own ranch. It was indeed good, and perfectly cooked. The prices were reasonable by US standards in Argentina's current economy.

However, Cabana las Lilas was missing what I liked most in the other Buenos Aires restaurants in which I ate--warmth, friendliness and a leisurely pace.

On being seated at our table we placed our orders and were immediately surrounded by young women pouring water, serving rolls, bringing the wine, etc. A lovely appetizer plate was served, part of the cover. Our salad came almost immediately, before we had finished our appetizers. Then, halfway through the salad, the steaks arrived. The side dish was rather small, though no one had advised on ordering two. One of the many anonymous young women took away my bread plate and did not replace it.

At the end of the meal the "real" waitress returned to inquire about desserts. It felt as though everyone around us was watching the clock. I ordered dessert, then discovered that a selection of delicacies is also part of the cover. In other restaurants I would have had some personal connection to the server, who would likely discourage dessert in this setting.

In short, I would not go back--it felt institutionalized, and there are plenty of great steaks in Buenos Aires.

One caution: this restaurant does not take Master card, so we were lucky we had some US dollars.

Address: Puerto Madero
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$21-30