"Hiking Through a Tropical Hardwood Hammock" Top 5 Page for this destination Everglades National Park Things to Do Tip by KimberlyAnn

Everglades National Park Things to Do: 194 reviews and 362 photos

My Husband Hiking on Snake Bight Trail
by KimberlyAnn

Snake Bight Trail is a 1.6 mile one way trail (3.2miles with return trip). You will walk through a tropical hardwood hammock, with dozens of tropical tree species to the bay. This was a hike we really wanted to do, but first my husband was ill with a sore throat and low energy, and then I caught it at the end of our trip. We tried to do it just before leaving, but I was feeling quite poorly, so we only were able to walk part of the trail. This is a trail we would do again, this time to the end, should we visit the Everglades in another year. The trees curve over the trail like a canopy. We saw a mother alligator with little ones near her in a narrow waterway that ran near the trail. We also saw many large and small spiders, mainly the same types with the yellow and black striped legs and red on their abdomens that I had seen on my Bayshore Hike. ( I think these are banana spiders) In one large web we saw a huge female of this species with her molt caught in her web just above her. A very small male was mating with her. He would run in and attach himself to the underside of her abdomen, she would twitch one or two of her long legs and he would scurry away, only to return again. I understand that if you hike to the end you will find a boardwalk to lookout over the bay. This is reported to be a good bird watching area where you will see many wading birds and pelicans.

Directions: From the Flamingo Visitor Center drive an estimated 7 miles toward the park entrance. The trailhead is on the right side of the road as you head in a northeast direction toward the park entrance.

• Updated Apr 16, 2003

“Respect all living things, accept man's differences.”

Have you been to Everglades National Park?