"The Appian Way--Maybe the most famous via in Italy" Italy Favorite Tip by unravelau

Italy General: 753 reviews and 735 photos

Archway over via Appia
by unravelau

Favorite thing: I know, I know -- the next comment will be from someone saying what about the via Flamina............ or another equally famous. Well, from childhood and up until say four years ago, I had never paid much attention to any other via in Italy, but the Appia had been given a lot of attention.

Apart from the fact that some of the original still remains, I find it really interesting that it ribboned its way through a huge part of the countryside that I have spent my two trips to Italy in -- nearly 12 months all up. So, I have had considerable time to ponder this and some opportunities to photograph its remains in a couple of places.

See travelogue for more photo's as I find them and put them up.

Fondest memory: I miss that it's like living in an adventure -- you never know what you are likely to see, smell, hear or sense from the moment you get up until you fall into bed, often quite late at night.

The following link will take you to an easy to view map of Italy. I spent most of my time on the West coastal area between Rome and Naples.

• Updated Mar 9, 2007

Comments

unravelau

“Look at it this way then.”

Have you been to Italy?