"World's Biggest Book" Top 5 Page for this destination Sandamani (Sanda Muni) Paya Tip by herzog63

Sandamani (Sanda Muni) Paya, Mandalay: 6 reviews and 14 photos

World's Biggest Book
by herzog63

Here at Kuthodaw Paya you can see all of the 729 stupas. Each one houses a page of the World's Largest Book. Inside each one there is a marble slab that is an individual page from the Tripitaka. Apparantly it was translated to a paper edition in the early 1900's and it took 38 volumes at 400 pages each to fit it all.
Funny story:
That night after I got back to my Guest House I was glancing through my Lonely Planet Guide reading about Mandalay. I came a across Kuthodaw Paya in the book and was reading about The Worlds Biggest Book. Huh..I thought I went there today and how did I miss seeing the book!? I was very tired as I was reading as it was about 11:30 at night and I had come from Yangon on the night bus (18 hours) and hadn't slept since the day before. So I was thinking to myself that I wanted to go back to the Temple to see the Big Book!! hahaha But I had already seen it!

• Written Apr 12, 2003

• toddecus's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Saw this on the front page of VT today, cool picture and interesting, I had never heard of this before.
    Thanks for sharing!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Have you been to Mandalay?