"Vatican Museum Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Things to Do Tip by iandsmith

Italy Things to Do: 1,470 reviews and 2,257 photos

Ceiling in the Gallery of Maps
by iandsmith

Following is my internet version of my coach trip to the Vatican Museum: - "Sitting behind a skinhead with attitude while the constant bleating of the multi lingual commentary kept us alert waiting for the English version.
One thing was noticeable about the commentary. Not once, ever, did they mention the queue. I mean THE QUEUE. The world's longest never ending (just when you think you've seen it, it extends beyond the horizon as more busloads are disgorged till it disappears around the next block). Even the word "queue" is ill designed to describe the sea (sorry, ocean) of humanity that descends every morning (except Sundays) on this country within a country. Except for the last Sunday of the month when it is free and, how many come on these days beggars the imagination.
We were indeed fortunate to be here in the OFF season but I should add that 10 million people visit here annually and frankly, I wished we had been there on one of the days when the other 9 million were in attendance.
To be honest, it coloured our viewing of the Sistine Chapel and other parts to the point where it wasn't an enjoyable experience.
Standing elbow-to-elbow with a shuffling mass and, at least once a minute having the overseer shout "Sshhhhh" while you vainly hope to grab one of those seats so eagerly sought after is not an ideal way to appreciate Michaelangelo's masterpiece."

Directions: Vatican City, heart of Rome

• Updated Jun 17, 2003

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Italy?