"Football" San Siro Stadium Tip by sierralyndon

San Siro Stadium, Milan: 24 reviews and 34 photos

Photo from the stadium website
by sierralyndon

I am not a huge soccer fan, but it's definitely growing on me. I've enjoyed several games at the San Siro stadium (now known as Meazza) watching mostly AC Milan matches. The best way to get there is to take the metro (towards Rho-Fiera) on the red line and get off at Lotto. If you're lucky (or unlucky) you'll be stuck with hundreds of football fans (tifosi) on the tube as well.

Do not be alarmed when you get off the train / out of the station and see rows of police vans and caribinieri lining the streets. Just a typical Saturday or Sunday evening at the football.

From the Lotto station it's still about a 15 or 20 minute walk to get to the stadium (on the way there you'll pass the horse-racing tracks (Ippodromo) on your right - look out for the giant statue of a horse in the entrance modelled on one of Leonardo da Vinci's drawings).

Otherwise there are bus services (but I wouldn't want to be mashed up against other sweaty bodies!!!).

Alternatively the number 16 tram takes you close to the stadium. Again very packed!

The stadium itself is quite interesting architecturally, but I what I like most about it is that the seating is very steep hence you can get a good view from almost anywhere. Plus because there aren't running tracks around the actual field, you're much closer to the action.

Football tickets can be bought over the internet, or in town if you're in Milan early enough. AC Milan tickets can be bought at Banca Intesa branches or else at the Milan Point store at Piazza XXIV Maggio (Tram No. 3 from the town centre). New rules state that you have to bring ID with you to the stadium, i.e. when you purchase tickets they will take down your info (e.g. your codice fiscale or passport no.) so the tickets are not trasferable. The last time I went (Nov 6. 2005) they just zapped my ticket as we went in stadium but didn't ask me for proof of identity).

I usually get seats in the 2nd Ring Red section. Bring binoculars of course... for me it's to see Filippo Inzaghi up close, heh heh.

Address: Piazzale Angelo Moratti
Phone: 02 4879 8201
Website: http://www.stadiosansiro.it/

• Updated Nov 8, 2005

Comments

sierralyndon

“"I wonder what's happening over there?"”

Have you been to Milan?