"Take your shoes off!" Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Things to Do Tip by herzog63

Myanmar (Burma) Things to Do: 464 reviews and 930 photos

common sign
by herzog63

I've travelled quite a bit in Asia where removing your shoes is pretty important before entering Temples, Homes etc.. But in Myanmar it seemed to go quite a few steps further! About 99% of the time upon entering the grounds of Temples or Pagodas you had to remove your shoes as soon as you came to the entrance of the whole area and not only just the really sacred areas. So if you are ever visting a Temple here in the high sun of the day be prepared for some skin Searing walks!! My son and I would look for light colored tiles in the mid-day sun as they would be a few degrees cooler than the red or black stones or tiles! We had a few occasions that where very painful for our tender Alaskan feet as we don't have the opportunity to walk barefoot and toughen our feet up! Our experince in Mingun the Ancient cracked temple outside of Mandalay was the worst for us as it was about 2:30 PM and we wanted to walk to the top of the temple and the sun had already come around to the right side of the structure where the Red Stone steps are located!! Our first ten steps where really painful! It seemed like we could see smoke rising from our feet on every step! But had a reprieve about half way up. Shade!!! We took a 1 minute break there and continued to the top. As we arrived at the top all we could see was more red stone and no shade so we hopped around for a couple of minutes snapping off a couple photos. I even tried sitting down on the stone to give my feet a break but all I did was burn my A**! We were happy to get back to the bottom again!! We are still laughing about that experience!

• Written Mar 31, 2003

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Have you been to Myanmar (Burma)?