"Oklahoma's Worst Day - April 19, 1995" Top 5 Page for this destination OKC National Memorial and Museum Tip by mrclay2000

Murrah Building, days after the blast
by mrclay2000

I was in my boss' office at 9:00 a.m. on April 19, a bright and cloudless day, when a convulsion rumbled up from the south and rattled the windows going north. The effects were electrifying, as co-workers struggled to determine the cause. I imagined three possibilities (a) that a small plane in distress had passed just over our office, (b) that our nearby 5-story-tall newspaper presses had collapsed, or (c) that we had just felt an earthquake. A few minutes later I heard the first news about "a bomb." In our relative innocence, we little understood the meaning. "What's a bomb?"

When the blast occurred, employees at the south end of our building turned to see a column of smoke tower over downtown. Within seconds the windows by which they stood trembled so violently -- even from 10 miles away -- that many feared they would explode. Downtown was a pandemonium. As events unfolded, radios educated the city on medical terminology. Triage - the bloodied and battered are divided by the severity of their wounds. Code black - overcrowded hospitals can accept no more patients.

Medical personnel were flown free to OKC to assist. Little towns in Oklahoma emptied out to donate blood. By mid-afternoon, the skies darkened and began to rain on the rescuers and rescued alike. By nightfall, the number recovered was comparatively small at 20. In the end, 168 lives would be claimed, including 19 children. Today, Oklahoma City drivers run their headlights every April 19 to commemorate our common experience.

Address: 4th and Robinson Ave
Directions: due north of the Oklahoma County Courthouse and downtown federal building
Phone: 405/235-3313
Website: http://www.nps.gov/okci/index.htm

• Updated Mar 29, 2003

Comments

mrclay2000 Lives Here!

mrclay2000

“I have no illusions. I lost them on my travels.”

Have you been to Oklahoma City?