"Kinderdijk, The Netherlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Things to Do Tip by sim1

Europe Things to Do: 1,313 reviews and 2,177 photos

Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
by sim1

I have to tell you all about my visit to the Kinderdijk. More windmills together than you can ever imagine!

The Kinderdijk is located 60 miles south of Amsterdam and very close to Rotterdam (the Province of Zuid-Holland). Here nineteen glorious windmills, all dating from 1740, compete for your attention. Kinderdijk is one of the best known sights of Holland. In 1997, the Kinderdijk mills were placed on UNESCO?s World Heritage List.

And the best way to get a good view of all these windmills is by taking a boat trip! And what a luck I had with the weather!! It was a beautiful spring day, blue sky, sun shining, and nice warm weather! I couldn't wish for anything better. It was off season, so there weren't many tourist, and I had a wonderful time. I always was under the impression that the Kinderdijk was one big tourist trap. A site only there for the foreign tourists. But I was so wrong! I've seen lots and lots of windmills over the years, but so many close together really amazed me! It was fantastic to see. So if you go here, take a boattrip and enjoy!

Directions: The Kinderdijk is located in The Netherlands in the Province of Zuid-Holland
Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1c048/7052d/

• Updated Feb 24, 2010

sim1 Visits Here Frequently!

“Forever smiling :-)”