"Crossing the Friendship Bridge to Laos" Vientiane Transportation Tip by sgtowns

Vientiane Transportation: 64 reviews and 60 photos

Down the Mekong towards the Friendship Bridge
by sgtowns

Getting from Thailand to Laos across the Friendship Bridge is not completely easy, but it's not too bad either. I made the trip in March, 2003 alone and with no guides (my Thailand LP didn't help much) and I made it fine.

I was hoping to drive my rented motorcycle over the bridge, but I found out that wasn't possible. So I parked my bike and left it at the border for a few days.

So here is what you have to do to make the border crossing: Show up on the Thai side, go through immigration, get on a bus that takes you across the bridge (10 baht), and get the Visa-on-Arrival on the Laos side (1500 baht). Signs are in English, so its not hard.

After getting the visa and all the stamps, walk THROUGH the parking lot ignoring all the tuk-tuk drivers. Small busses (seating 30 or so) arrive at the other side of the lot and they will take you to Vientiane for just a few baht (10 I think?) . The bus is slow and will probably be ridiculously crowded, but that's part of the fun, right?

Mode: TO
Type: Bus

• Written Mar 24, 2003

Comments

sgtowns

“Every journey begins with one step”

Have you been to Vientiane?