"Radio" United Kingdom Local Custom Tip by Galahad

United Kingdom Local Customs: 340 reviews and 354 photos

A feature that not many people have mentioned is radio. The main national broadcaster is the BBC - they have 5 national channels and many local stations. Buy the Radio Times at any newsagent to tell you what's on. Radio 4 is a high quality speech channel, Radio 3 is classical music, Radio 5 Live is a sports and news station, and very roughly Radio 1 is a younger people's (whatever that means!) pop music station and finally Radio 2 is aimed at a slightly older popular (easy listening) music audience. My daughter thinks I'm very old fashioned - she listens to Radio 1 and two local commercial pop stations, BRMB and Radio Wyvern.
There are an increasing number of digital channels available and the price of receivers is falling fast. I have not bought one because our local transmitter does not broadcast any of the television or radio digital signals. I find that I can now receive one of the new digital stations via my TV. This is BBC7. This is rebroadcasting archive programmes of the 1970 to 1990 period - particularly old comedy programmes.
Many of the the BBC programmes are available live on line and are archived for the week following the broadcast and so should be able to be picked up via Internet anywhere in the world.

Website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/

• Updated Aug 30, 2003

“"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to United Kingdom?