"Packing for Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Packing List Tip by Weissdorn
Germany What to Pack: 49 reviews and 29 photos
Luggage and bags: I stress - bring light-weight luggage and bags, and leave half the stuff you want to pack at home. The reason for this is that many will be staying in hotels and guest houses, where they:
a) don't have parking near the accomodation
b) are not anywhere near the train station
c) do not have elevators, even though they have multiple stories.
Murphy's law says that your hotel is going to be located the farthest point away from the train station, on the top floor, on the most swealtering day, and you're exhausted on that day.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Comfortable clothing is best for travel. Bring a few changes for hot and cold weather.
It rains a lot in Germany, so bring appropriate rain gear. Germany is located in a temperature zone, so you should always bring a coat - even in summer.
Bring at least 2 pair of comfortable walking shoes, to change, so that you won't get blisters from walking. Ladies, leave your high-heels at home, because high heels and cobble stones just don't mix.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You should just bring basic toiletries. If you need something else, I can't think of any toiletries that aren't readily available in Germany.
You should bring an adequate amount of prescription drugs you think you will need to cover your trip. Although Germany has a very good standard of medicine, you may not always be able to obtain your brand of medication in Germany. Bring a copy of your prescription, so that a drug store can help you get your medication if you lose it.
Photo Equipment: Bring whatever you like - chemical film, tapes and digital chips are readily available in Germany.
I suggest you select photo equipment that have regular size batteries (AA or AAA), because you can purchase an inexpensive battery recharger for 220 V/50 Hz in any electronic shop.
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you are going on a sports trip in Germany, the airlines are accommodating if you want to bring special outdoor equipment, such as diving tanks, skiis, and bicycles.
If you need something special, but forgot it at home, you can but it there - Germany is one of the world's leading consumers for outdoor gear.
Miscellaneous: If you want to use your cell phone in Germany, talk to your provider first before you come, so they will switch you "on" outside of your country.
If you are coming from North America, you will have to talk to your network provider for arranging an exchange cell phone, because your phone won't work in Germany. Germany is on the GSM standard (Global Standard for Mobile telephones). Most North American providers have cell phone exchange services for the duration of your stay in Germany.
More Reviews (103)
- See All Bueckeburg - The Magic Kingdom of...
- See All I Need A Place to Crash - But Not the...
- See All Oktoberfest in Munich
- See All Beware of Rumanian Begger Children
- See All Who said you can't drink the water?
- See All Fishing in Germany - Getting a License
- See All Computer & Electronic Stores
- See All Getting Around in the Greater Stuttgart...
- Lake Müritz
- See All Camping in Germany
- See All Like Ice in the Sunshine, I'm Melting...
Been to Germany?Share your travels with the world!
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6873 Reviews - 15326 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4308 Reviews - 9909 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1665 Reviews - 3682 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2162 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3988 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1452 Reviews - 3459 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 880 Reviews - 2990 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1186 Photos