"Anne Frank's House" Netherlands Tourist Trap Tip by silve64
Netherlands Tourist Traps: 76 reviews and 53 photos
Anne Frank was one of the Jewish victims of Nazi persecution during the second world war. After Nazi Germany invaded the Netherlands in 1940, increasingly severe anti-Jewish measures began here as well. The Frank family tried to escape by going into hiding. On July 1942, Otto Frank, Edith Frank-Hollander and their daughters Margot and Anne hid in this building on the Prinsengracht. They where later joined by Mr. and Mrs Daan, their sun Peter and Mr. Dussel. The building consists of two parts : a front house and a back anex. Otto Frank's business was located in the front house. The uppermost floors of the back anexe became the hiding place. After more than two years the group was betrayed and deported. Anne and Margot died of typhes in Bergen-Belsen in March 1945, only a few weeks before this concentration camp was liberated. Otto Frank, the only member of the group to survive, returned after the war.
During the hiding period Anne Frank kept a diary. In it she described daily life in the back anexe, the isolation and the fear of discovery. Anne's diary survived the war: after the betrayal it was found by Miep Gies, one of the helpers. When it was confirmed that Anne would not be returning, Miep gave the manuscripts to Otto Frank. In 1947 the first Dutch edition appeared. Since then the diary has been published in more then 55 languages.
Daily: from 9 AM to 7 PM
From March 29th to September 1st: 9 AM to 9 PM
On May 4th: 9 AM to 7 PM
On December 31st: 9 AM to 5 PM
On January 1st and December 25th: 12 Noon to 7 PM
Last admittance: 30 minutes prior to closing
Closed on Yom Kippur
Because of the steep stairway, the museum is not accessible to people with walking difficulties.
More Reviews (1)
silve64's Related Pages
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels