"The Hill Experience" Salzburg Favorite Tip by europebn

Salzburg General: 228 reviews and 230 photos

After the hike up. Soon the clouds were coming...
by europebn

Fondest memory: Our plan was to climb this mountain, well hill, which was about 2500 feet, and we were told it would take about 2 hours.

I knew it could be a tough climb (for me at least), since I've never climbed anything of this size before. It wasn't an easy beginning, as I quickly realised that I wasn't in as good of shape as I once thought. 'Plug away', I kept reminding myself.

As we climbed, the sun came out and it got a lot warmer, so I unzipped the pant legs to make them shorts, and took off my long sleeve shirt. We had gone a good distance, but nowhere near finished since we saw the observation tower at the peak of the hill quite a bit higher.

Lorne was in good shape, but Siv Pheng and I were not, so the two of us found a 'walking stick' that hopefully would save us some energy. Pathetic, I know. It would also help on the way down for balance.

Finally, only 1h 40min since beginning, we reached the peak! Woo Hoo!! And the scenery around made the climb much more worth it! Fortunately, there was an outdoor bar/cafe, and of course, it was time for a beer (or two)!

While enjoying our beers and watching people paragliding, we noticed clouds coming in from the distance, which was not expected. After our second beer, the clouds were closer and much darker. Oh crap!! (well, I didn't actually say 'crap') Time to go!

It was getting dark quickly and we heard thunder in the distance. Oh double crap!!! Soon it was completely grey and the thunder was cracking and the lightning was flashing. It was only a matter of time before we were drenched. We were still more than half way up the hill!

Our pace picked up and soon we were actually jogging down the hill. We decided to RUN down the hill, almost full speed, trying not to trip over the rain soaked ground and rocks that stick out from nowhere. Siv Pheng almost did if his hand didn't stop him, and I almost twisted an ankle.

Completely soaked from head to toe, we made it to the main road, and saw the bus coming a minute later. Phew!

• Written Mar 4, 2003

Comments

europebn

“"The world is a great book, of which they who never stir from home read only a page." Augustine of Hippo”

Have you been to Salzburg?