"Auto Care" Myanmar (Burma) Favorite Tip by kenmerk

Myanmar (Burma) General: 191 reviews and 207 photos

Favorite thing: Well, We could cover local arts, craft, customs, traditions, but first: auto maintenance. (actually a more enlightening topic...)

While driving through Yangon with friends, our car died, and would not restart.... The burmese along the road, being a friendly lot ,quickly gathered around and helped push the car off the road and offer their assistance.

It looked like a battery problem, so I expected someone to produce a set a jumper cables, and we would soon be on our way... This was not to be... One man jumped on his scooter, and shortly returned with two spanner wrenches... (for what ? I wondered...)

What happened next is something that I have never seen before in auto care.... They removed a battery from a nearby truck and one man cradled it in his lap as another man positioned the two spanners between the two car batteries...

I'm thinking that this might actually work... except he had the poles cross (positive to positive) which if you know anything about battery this would fall in the category of "BAD".

Well, Sparks were a jumping, the battery and wrenches went flying, and people were a running for their lives... (Luckily the battery didn't explode and no one was hurt)

After some discussion, he tried again, with the battery poles lined up properly and the car started OK..

But the moral is that in poor countries like Burma, people actually have to think their problems through, and use whatever is available to them to overcome the obstacles...

• Written Mar 1, 2003

Comments

Have you been to Myanmar (Burma)?