All of the "AREPERAS" in Caracas: "It's round and it is made of corn flour..." Top 5 Page for this destination Caracas Restaurant Tip by carolinaEspada

Caracas Restaurants: 52 reviews and 40 photos

IT'S AN "AREPA"!!! That is a "must" in a venezuelan table. A round white arepa made with corn flour. Is our own, local, beloved equivalent to bread.

But we also have plenty of bread. All sorts of them: french, whole weat, american loafs, etc. But the "arepa" is like a piece of a venezuelan heart. No, a piece of a venezuelan stomach.

There are a bunch of AREPERAS all over. This our traditional fast food place. But good fast food. There, as if it was a sandwich, you can eat arepas with all kinds of things inside: chese, shreded meat, tuna salad, chicken salad and avocado (that one is called "Reina Pepiada"), saussages, ham, etc.

No, no marmelade, no honey, nothing sweet inside of an arepa.

And that is something foreigners love to do. Arepa with jelly... Oh well! Help yourself, go ahead, eat it that way if you wish. Maybe a venezuelan, a table near by, will say: "Yuk!"... But that is ok, you can eat your arepa with whatever makes you happy.

These places are absolutely informal. They are open all day and most part of the night too. It is very funny to see people -very, very, late in the evening- coming out from an elegant party, or from a rehearsal at the theater, or from a long day of extra hours at work, and all of these characters metting in an arepera.

Favorite Dish: I dont like arepas.

I must be the only venezuelan that doesnt likes them and I'm well known for the wonderfull arepas I bake. Can you believe that?

If I had to eat an arepa, because there is no other choise, it will be a QUESO GUAYANES one. An arepa filled with a very soft white nonsalty cheese of ours.

Address: Any place where you read "AREPERA"
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Now there are more sophisticated and chic areperas and they are called Areperias. It's the same thing, but more expensive. I wouldnt go to an Areperia. I preffer Areperas.
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated Jul 22, 2003

carolinaEspada Lives Here!

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Have you been to Caracas?