"We arrived at our first village pt 10" Jungle Trek Tip by herzog63

Jungle Trek, Chiang Mai: 41 reviews and 40 photos

Econo Lodge
by herzog63

Favorite thing: As we came around the side of a hill I could see smoke rising from the trees so I new or thought there would be a village soon. And after another 15 minutes there it was! Civilization! Not really but there were a bunch of houses and some animals. It appeared that the people cultivated rice and opium by the looks of the fields.
Upon our arriving and giving greetings to some of them and and they greeted us and our guide spoke with them for awhile. He appeared to be negotiating for us to stay in one of the mud floored shacks and to get us something to eat. He must have negotiated for the low end package deal as we got packed mud floors to sleep on with rice bags for blankets. That night was one of the most uncomfortable nights of sleeping that I had ever had before or since! I'll never forget it.
The people were very curious of us and as we were told which shack we would be sleeping in we hauled our stuff into it. Not only was it a mud packed floor but the walls and ceiling were covered in soot! The don't use chimneys for venting the smoke. They just let the smoke pour out through holes in the ceiling and around the edges of the walls.

• Written Feb 25, 2003

Comments

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Have you been to Chiang Mai?