"Evans Farm Inn, part 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Favorite Tip by b1bob

Virginia General: 94 reviews and 136 photos

Main Dining Room: Evans Farm Inn
by b1bob

Fondest memory: Auctioning this thing off was work. My boss and I took inventory of the fixtures and equipment on 11 October 1999 and just that took half the day. On 19 December 1999, I was going up to Northern Virginia anyhow to take some work I did to the client in an envelope and I figured I'd take my friend James to lunch there. The prices were a real eye-opener, but that isn't what turned us away. We sat and waited forever before we even got served water while we thought of our order. Then we waited like birds in the wilderness. Although there was no written dress code, the fact that we were dressed more casually than the Sunday brunch regulars may have had something to do with our being snubbed. As soon as Tom Sullivan, another friend of ours arrived, and we still weren't being served, we high-tailed it for Bennigan's. (That's the last time I ever tried to eat at a snooty restaurant.) Before I had that experience, I was cussing the developers for turning this unique piece of history into condos. After, I was eager to put this piece of (insert expletive here) on the auction block. On 16 and 17 February, my boss and I sold the fixtures and equipment of Evans Farm Inn. The first day, we auctioned off the restaurant fixtures and equipment. I was plagued on that day by ill-fitting shoes. On the second day, we auctioned off the maintenance and groundskeeping equipment and all the contents of the out buildings. That day, I wore tennis shoes for the outdoor part, but it was Hillary cold. I was glad when that sale was over because I never thought it would end.

• Updated Jun 13, 2004

b1bob Lives Here!

Have you been to Virginia?