"Hill Tribes You'll be the first to ever visit! Pt1" Hill Tribes and Volunteer work Tip by herzog63

Lisu Tribe
by herzog63

Favorite thing: I signed up for a Hill Tribe trek through my guest house which I don't remember the name of. Our main guide was a Karen originally from Burma and he seemed quite knowledgable about the area. He said he spoke several of the local dialects which would be useful on the trip. Our 2nd guide would be a Pakistani that didn't speak any of the local dialects but he spoke Thai. Seemed odd to me but he was a nice guy. There ended up being 7 of us foreigners in the group a couple of them knew each other already but this was my first meeting any of them.
I would recommend that if you have the time meet all of the people that will be in your group to make sure they are all of the same capabilities that you are or have the same attitudes that you have so there won't be any conflicts on the trail! I didn't meet them until it was time to pile into the truck and I sensed right away that one of them wouldn't fit in! And I was right! But oh well the trip went on.

Fondest memory: One of the gimmicks that is used and it got me is that "You will be the first group to ever trek in this area"! That got me excited! I felt like I was going to be some sort of junior anthropologist. And as we got to each village the people were certainly curious enough about us that it had us believing that we were the first foreigners to ever visit. There were NO giftshops or softdrinks for sale which is really what made me believe it! Who knows maybe we were the first to visit.

• Written Feb 25, 2003

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Have you been to Chiang Mai?