"Using the "Thai Toilet"" Top 5 Page for this destination Correct behaviour Tip by SumTingWong
Correct behaviour, Chiang Mai: 21 reviews and 15 photos
Yes, you may have the pleasure to use the Thai people toilet, ie the squatter. These may look extremely unappealing at first, but you should love them by the end! You should know how to use them so you know what you're doing when that time comes when you are up against one, well here it goes...:
1) Get bare footed
2) There is normally a rack to put your pants, use it, if not well put your pants somewhere.
3) Place feet on feet pads and just squat down
4) Drop the bomb (1 or 2).
5) Ut-oh, no toilet paper, what to do? (Bring some before if your smart, but biodegradable ones only). But normally you won't have any so heres what to do: there is a bucket and troth of water for a reason... take your LEFT HAND and wet it and clean the spot... now you can see why we don't eat with our left hands!!!
6) Ut-oh, no flusher, but there is a hose and pail. Fill the pail with the water from the hose, pour the water into the toilet from the pail and it will (should) go down.
7) Put your pants and shoes on and congratulations you're done!
Extra comedy provided by me! lol! It really is important!
More Local Customs in Chiang Mai (8)
More Reviews (50)
- See All Doi Inthanon National Park
- See All The Forest Wat - Wat U-Mong (4)
- See All Hospital
- See All Ta Khlong - traditional Thai game
- See All Bamboo rafting
- See All Bars and Kareoke Bars
SumTingWong's Related Pages
Have you been to Chiang Mai?Share Your Travels