"What to do when recieving or giving a gift" Top 5 Page for this destination Correct behaviour Tip by SumTingWong
Correct behaviour, Chiang Mai: 21 reviews and 15 photos
To give a gift: there are two proper ways of presenting a gift in Thai society:
1) give the gift with your right hand and have your lift hand on your elbow.
2) present the gift with both hands together (this it the better of the two methods). It is common practice for the receiver of the gift to wahy (two hands together like praying position) before accepting the gift to show respect and gratitude.
When you receive a gift: Before you even touch the gift you should wahy, then you may accept the gift and take it with both hands, or if you have something in your hand accept it with your right hand and put your left hand by your elbow. Then you can say Kohp Koon krap(m)/kaa(f), or you can say this first, up to you.
More Local Customs in Chiang Mai (8)
More Reviews (50)
- See All Doi Inthanon National Park
- See All The Forest Wat - Wat U-Mong (4)
- See All Hospital
- See All Ta Khlong - traditional Thai game
- See All Bamboo rafting
- See All Bars and Kareoke Bars
SumTingWong's Related Pages
Have you been to Chiang Mai?Share Your Travels